Five Home Hazards That Could Prove Fatal to Your Furry Friend

As National Animal Poison Prevention Week is fast approaching from March 19 to 25, our team wants to make sure everyone knows about the most common dangers that can lurk in your home and harm pets. We have gathered a list of household products that are toxic if consumed by animals!


#1: Medications

Even the most cautious pet owners run the risk of their furry friends ingesting medications that can be potentially life-threatening. Dogs, especially those with an insatiable appetite for food, may take advantage when a pill or two is dropped and quickly snatch them up before you have time to react. Medication overdoses can prove fatal to pets if left untreated; therefore it is essential to contact animal poison control as soon as possible after discovering ingestion has taken place.


#2: Food

Your pet may be drawn to the kitchen and all its tantalizing treats, yet many of these goods can lead to serious health risks. Chocolate, macadamia nuts, xylitol, avocados, unbaked yeast dough; alcohol such as beer or wine; grapes, and raisins are some of the most toxic foods that could cause kidney failure or seizures in your furry friend. To keep them safe from harm’s way while you cook up a storm in the kitchen – prevent counter-surfing by keeping an eye out for prying noses! You might even consider investing in a locking trash can which will further deter nosy pets from scouring through potentially hazardous substances.


#3: Household chemicals

Every chemical in your home can cause your pet harm if they ingest enough. Ensure the following common chemicals are locked up away from your pet:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover


#4: Houseplants

Many of the flowers and plants we bring into our homes, as well as the chemicals used to keep them healthy, are incredibly toxic for pets. Lilies in particular can be fatal if a cat even touches its pollen; other hazardous houseplants include dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants. Outdoor flora like ivy and oleander should also be avoided when possible. Before you buy that bouquet or add greenery to your garden — consult the ASPCA’s list of poisonous plants first! That way you can ensure both your pet’s health –and your own– peace of mind!


#5: Batteries and coins

Not only are batteries and coins hazardous when ingested, but they can also cause metal poisoning. Moreover, if your pet gnaws through a battery, their oral cavity may suffer from serious chemical burns; and should the entire battery be swallowed whole by mistake, it could lead to fatal gastrointestinal blockage. Therefore it is very important to keep these items away from pets at all times.


If you suspect your pet has been exposed to a dangerous substance, don’t hesitate – get in touch with our team straight away!